Who Should Attend NYLT
I will be turning 13 right after the course; can I attend anyway?
No, we are following stated national standards that all participants must be 13 or older at the time of participation, and you will get more out of it by being a bit older. So, we will not be able to make age exceptions.
Can Venturers Attend NYLT?
Yes! Starting in 2011, NYLT became considered “program neutral” and appropriate for members of Scout Troops, Venturing Crews and Sea Scout Ships. Venturers should meet the same requirements in terms of camping experience, leadership potential, and maturity. Both male and female Venturers may attend NYLT. One course a year will co-ed course, the other course(s) will be male only.
Additionally, all Venturers 18 years old and above, may also attend Wood Badge . Click here to find out about Wood Badge
- Be at least 13 years old
- Be at least First Class in rank (or, for Venturers, have an equivalent level of camping and outdoor skills)
- Have Scoutmaster/Crew Advisor approval
- Be willing to behave in accordance with the Scout Oath and Scout Law at NYLT
- Be Prepared mentally, emotionally and physically to handle a week of NYLT
- Be in attendance for the entire period from noon on Day 1 through 8 pm on Day 6 of the course.
- Have taken part in at least 1 (ideally 2+) weeks of resident Scout camp
- Be a “credit” to their unit—dedicated, conscientious, and responsible
- Be serving in, or about to serve in, a significant troop or crew leadership role
- Have good basic camping and outdoor skills
- Want to attend
Participants should NOT:
- Be those with significant homesickness issues or discipline problems
- Be Scouts who have never camped without a parent present
Participants who create problems for themselves or others by not following program rules, or by violations of law or of the Scout Oath or Scout Law, may be sent home at the discretion of the adult leadership. No refunds will be given in the event of an early dismissal from NYLT.